Home to School Transport

Concessionary transport:  North Somerset does not provide transport beyond the compulsory age of 16, except for those with special needs.  There is a concessionary travel scheme whereby a student not entitled to transport may be able to take up a spare seat on a hired vehicle.  For enquiries, please contact North Somerset Council's home to school transport department.

Student First Southwest Cards:  For travel by bus, young people (aged 16 – 21) and students of any age in full time education can get up to 30% discount on all tickets across the West of England (Bristol, Bath, Weston super Mare and Wells).   They will need to obtain a First Photo ID pass.  These are free of charge and valid for one year from the date of issue.  The pass must be shown to the driver on every journey.  If none can be produced at the time of travel, then the ordinary adult single fare must be paid.   To obtain a First Photo ID pass just visit a First Travel shop with a passport photo and proof of age to get a Young person’s photo ID, or download a form online.  Alternatively students in possession of a valid NUS Card, University ID card or International Student ID card can show their card to obtain the discount.  Valid ID must be shown on every journey.

More information can be found on: https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/tickets/ticket-types/young-person-16-21-students

Out of Catchment Coach Service:  The school runs a paying coach service covering South Bristol, Long Ashton, Failand, Flax Bourton and Winford.  Sixth form students are also welcome to apply for a place on one of these buses.  Places are limited and offered on a first come first served basis.  Please see the Travel to School page for more information and details on how to apply.

Train: Students who wish to travel by train can get 1/3 off rail fares by purchasing a 16-25 Railcard, which costs £30 for a year.  For more information and details on how to apply, please visit https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

Car parking: There are limited spaces available for Sixth Form parking in school.   Year 13 students can apply for a car parking permit by completing an application form and providing insurance information.  Places will be allocated on an individual basis, with priority given to those living furthest away and with limited access to public transport.  It is unusual, therefore, for Year 12 students to be given permission to park in school.  Please note that the car park at Backwell Leisure Centre is for patrons only.

Motorbikes and Bikes:  There is parking for bicycles and mopeds. Moped drivers need a permit as described for car drivers above.

NB. The 16-19 Bursary Fund makes it possible for students to claim back some of the costs they incur in travelling to school.  However this is a means-tested scheme with a limited pot of money for the school to allocate.  Details and application forms below.

16-19 Bursary Fund Info and Application Form 2017

Car Parking Request Form

Motorcycle Parking Request Form